November 19, 2000

Pulled the right rear window regulators. Both appear to be seized up. Looked over the rest of the window boxes on the right side. They seem to be in very good condition. even the wood is in decent shape. A little light sanding, and they'll be good for another 60 years! I'll take the regulators back to my shop and see if I can free them up. I'll need to download Gordon's instructions for rebuilding them.

Pulled the radiator so I can take it in and have it checked out. I also pulled the headlight guards and the grill.

Seized mechanism
November 21

Ordered a Zenith Carburetor Tech Manual and a replacement hood support rod from VPW. Picked up the radiator from Valley Radiator, it had a couple of small leaks otherwise in good shape.

November 24

Reconditioned the right rear window regulators. With Gordon's winder regulator refurbish instructions in hand, I was ready for the worst. Fortunately it really didn't take to much to get these puppies back online. I soaked them for several hours with WD-40 before attempting to turn them. When I did, one turned fairly easily but the other would only turn a little before jamming up.

I pulled the helper spring on the bad one, which helped free it up, but it still had a tight spot. I couldn't see anything for the gears to catch on. I marked each gear where it meshed with the others. On closer inspection, I noticed one tooth on the primary gear was very slightly bent causing it to bind with the input gear. It looked as though someone had tried too force the window at some point.
Fortunately they stopped when they did or they could have ruined the mechanism. Rather than take a chance of breaking the tooth off, I decided to grind it back to clear. Now they're as smooth as new. Hopefully the remaining regulators will clean up as well. I didn't have as much luck with one of the regulators for the door windows. It was completely messed up with one arm up and the other down. It necessitated removing all of the gears and welding them back onto their hubs in the correct position. Works good now!
November 25

Cleaned up the radiator frame and front frame cross member, primed and painted the area. Installed the front motor mount and lower pulley. Sanded front bumper and hood looking for any sign of the vehicle's ID. I didn't find much left on the bumper. I did manage to pull the registration number off of hood though. It appears the number was not painted on but applied as decals. This was determined by the raised paint edge that came up with sanding. It seems the truck was painted with the decals still on, and then later on they were scraped off, evidenced by the scrapings found in the number craters. No indication of what color they were, though possibly white as were the remnants of letters found on the front bumper left (driver's) side.

It's tough to tell from the photos, but this is the registration number.

USA
2089727

As you can see, the 8 is very faint, if there at all. It was definitely a round number. Spacing was too wide. It didn't look like a 0 or a 6. Didn't seem to be a 9 either. Definitely not a 1. Researching the registration numbers that would have been used on the WC53, it seems that the only numbers used started with either 201, 208 and 209. These photos are of both sides of the hood. I also took photos of the drivers side front bumper and of the bumper in it's entirety, as I wanted to record what little bit of markings remained.

This evidence was of course in conflict with the dark blue registration number (USA 20165639) that was found on the tailgate when Larry was repairing it last March. Since the tailgate had a layer of yellow paint that was not found elsewhere on the vehicle, it was decided that it was a replacement and the registration number of no consequence.

I made the decision to go ahead and pull the front clip to aid in the cleanup and repainting of the front frame section. I had originally planned to only go as far as necessary to get the engine running as soon as possible. But I know if I don't do it now, I'll probably never get it done, and it'll be a thorn in my side until I do. It will also aid in the assembly of the engine. I pulled the headlights and blackout markers. I'll dismantle the rest tomorrow.

November 26

Disassembled more of the front clip today. Pulled both fenders and support brackets, as well as the cowling and splash guards. I must note to replace the left side splash guard before reinstalling the master cylinder since I had to remove it to gain access to one of the bolts securing the splash guard. The master cylinder was almost dry, but did pump a few drops of fluid when the pedal was activated after the hose was loosened, so hopefully a simple rebuild will suffice. All of the flexible brake lines will need replacing and the solid lines will need to be seriously looked at.

Before quitting for the day, I sanded the rear bumperettes looking for any additional markings. I didn't find anything definite, except for possibly a stenciled D on the right bumper. Several spots of white were discovered on both bumperettes, but nothing discernible. Photos were taken of both bumpers and an attempt will be made to pull more info out using Photoshop. I'm also planning to sand the center of the hood and both doors as well as the areas behind the doors to see if there is any evidence of stars or other markings.

I pulled the chassis wire harness since it will be replaced with a new harness at some point. The entire harness is in pretty bad condition and would only produce a shower of sparks if voltage were applied.